Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish.
The Edge Engineering team provides software engineering services which operates the CDN, DNS, NTP, Retail Compute, and Load Balancers for Apple. Our CDN infrastructure supports content distribution for Apple's installed base of iPhones, Macs, iPads, and Apple Watches, including OS updates, Apps, Music, TV on iOS, MacOS, and iPadOS. Our DNS infrastructure is critical to all of Apple's services, within and outside the company.
Do you want to be part of a Technology team critical to the success of Apple? This is a phenomenal opportunity to join the Edge Services team as a Senior Software Engineer! We’re looking for someone with a unique blend of experience and interest in architecture, data science, machine learning, network and software development practices. You will be part of a forward-thinking and dynamic team responsible for supporting Apple’s Content Delivery!
- Proven experience with data science and machine learning
- Ability to work independently but also within a team environment
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Solid scripting skills (Shell Scripting, Perl, Python)
- Interest or experience with Go (golang) programming
- Working knowledge on UNIX (Linux and/or FreeBSD)
- Knowledge of networking, security, IPv6, DNS (servers and protocol), DNSSEC, and BGP Anycast a plus
- Experience with standard change management and configuration policies (get work done while not breaking things).
- Hands-on experience with large scale internet infrastructure is a plus.
- Experience with monitoring tools (both open source and commercial)
- Experience with Kubernetes is a plus.
- Being a collaborative team player, you will work across cross-functional groups and have the ability and willingness to mentor others and have a sound business approach for supporting a global deployment.
- We value and encourage ownership, autonomy, responsibility, and trust within our global team of kind and talented individuals.
- We don’t expect you to have worked on anything quite our scale, but experience with large web services or similar systems (big data, high performance, distributed systems, critical infrastructure) will be helpful.
- Other things you will learn about if you’re not already familiar are network routing, basic BGP logic, DNS, GSLB systems, the difference between transit and peering between networks and much more.
- You are someone with passion and experience in driving best practices (in related work is fine), and the ability and interest to ramp up on these topics as needed.
• Evaluate, test, develop, implement, and support solutions to address a variety of business requirements.
• Develop software to drive automation and self-service.
• Use data science and machine learning to analyze and improve the performance of our CDN and DNS Infrastructure
• Troubleshoot performance issues within the infrastructure using both open source and commercial tools.
• Participate on implementation teams to integrate new designs into production with minimal impact to operations.
• Directly interface and coordinate with other internal business groups and external partners.
• Help handle (rare) escalations from our 24/7 operations team
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.