A successful candidate for this role will work in Applied Intelligence’s Singapore Hub, with a focus on delivering and support complex systems to our customers.
The Role - Engineering Manager
The Engineering Manager’s role is slightly analogous to the project manager role providing coordination and aiding efficient use and sharing of available resources across a number of engineering projects/product teams. This role is intimately involved with prioritizing multiple, frequently conflicting priorities across engineering projects. With the help of the project and development managers, the Engineering Manager manages the integration and interaction of multidiscipline engineering teams, resolution of engineering conflicts between disciplines, systems and capabilities.
The Engineering Manager must understand what is being engineered. They must manage the end to end engineering and technical aspects of what is being built often as part of a wider Programme. They will understand and the control the engineering impact on cost, quality and timeliness in order to meet customer and contractual expectations. Because of this, the Engineering Manager is typically from a technical background and can easily work with the engineering teams at a technical level. A large part of the Engineering Managers role is coordinating the day-to-day activities of the engineers on customer sites. They must understand the issues faced on site and concisely and accurately communicate these back to the development teams to elicit solutions which are then taken back to the onsite engineers. The Engineering Manager must also be capable of coordinating investigations and troubleshooting for critical issues.
The Engineering Manager must also be competent at technical writing and reviewing, having responsibility for sharing technical documentation with customers and explaining technical solutions and concepts with both technical and non-technical audiences. The candidate must constantly evaluate ways to improve the Engineering skill set of the Engineers, through the use of appropriate tools or techniques, technical or people coaching, or additional training on fundamental skills. He/She ensures the facilitation of improvements by changing approaches and working practices, typically using recognized models, better practices, standards and methodologies. They will also provide advice, assistance and leadership in improving the quality of the engineering output by focusing on process definition, management, assurance, repeatability and measurement.
Ultimately, the Engineering Manager demonstrates communication skills, gaining the respect of others, promotes continuous improvement and is accountable for consistently delivering. Being an Engineering Manager encompasses part mentoring, part client-facing, part project management, part account management and part engineering team public relations.
Core Role Accountabilities
- Successfully leading differing project, product, professional services and bespoke engineering projects to agreed project commitments;
- Be responsible and accountable for the engineering impact on time, cost and quality;
- Management of resources in order to plan, estimate and carry out programmes;
- Co-ordinate with global engineering and development teams to elicit solutions to problems faced on customer sites;
- Author and review technical documents and explain explaining technical solutions and concepts with both technical and non-technical audiences;
- Ensure all Engineering is carried out in accordance with appropriate standards, methods and procedures;
- Ensure their delivery is aligned to prevalent KPIs/business objectives;
- Provide appropriate status updates and other reports to specialists, users and managers;
- Overseeing the engineering lifecycle and ensuring outputs are developed to specification within resource and time constraints, and to the required quality standard;
- Ensuring that corporate policies, procedures and standards are utilised appropriately;
- Improving the quality of engineering teams, by focusing on process definition, management, assurance, repeatability and measurement;
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies;
- Monitors for and takes steps to protect company Intellectual Property.
Technical Understanding Or Working Experiences In
- Project management processes
- Relational databases
- Big Data framework and related technology stack like Hadoop, Parquet, HBase, AVRO, HDFS, Mesos, YARN
- Search engines and NoSQL like ElasticSearch, Cassandra, MongoDB
- Deployment tools like Ansible and Puppet
- Messaging systems like Kafka, ActiveMQ
- Processing frameworks like MapReduce, Spark