The Applied Intelligence business of BAE Systems delivers solutions which help to protect and enhance the connected world. Our solutions combine large scale data exploitation, ‘intelligencegrade’ security and complex services and solutions integration. We operate in four key domains of expertise: Cyber Security, Financial Crime, Communications Intelligence and Digital Transformation. Today, we have staff across the UK and Europe, the Americas, Asia Pacific and the Middle East.
Our people apply intelligence to protect and enhance national and organisational assets so that they can grow and prosper – from improving the health and efficiency of leading corporations to protecting critical infrastructures, safeguarding vulnerable people and catching criminals. Together, we make the world a safer place. Make everyday matter.
A successful candidate for this role will work in Applied Intelligence’s Singapore Hub, with a focus on delivering and support complex systems to our customers.
The Role - Junior System Consultant (Project Deployment):
The Junior System Consultant (Project Deployment) is a member of the Singapore Engineering Team. Junior System Consultants (Project Deployment) are trained to be hybrid Infrastructure/Application Deployment Engineers who ensure perfect execution on project tasks. They are Deployment Engineers with strong emphasis on IT fundamentals capable of taking on different technology stacks and yet care deeply about delivery milestones. Their versatility on the ground is fundamental to company success by constructing highly complex system or perform tactical upgrades to propel the project business. In this role, the selected candidate is the system builder (solo or team depending on project size), working with very large dataset, and solving hard engineering problems at scale to help our customers defend against threats, reducing their risk in the connected world.
To succeed, a Junior System Consultant (Production Support) must have an engineering mind-set, passionate and a curious mind about technology, preferably someone who enjoys working within structured project schedules but willing go above and beyond to meet tight timelines when required. The selected candidate should be someone bold to express his technical creativity and improvisation skills to Solution Architects to tackle unexpected issues during deployment. This is an extremely hands-on role and Junior System Consultants should also possess relentless drive in gaining extensive knowledge on both BAE and 3rd party products. We want to invest in talent to grow with the company for the long term.
- Regular interaction with customers with a key focus on ensuring success for our customers
- Carries out agreed execution procedures of a progressive nature like network/hardware/software/platform configuration and installation.
- Create high-quality technical documentation, for example Implementation Plans, Deployment Guides and System Acceptance Test
- Finding new and better solutions, challenge existing solutions in a professional and constructive manner
- Share experiences between colleagues aiming on perfecting best practices
- Working with software engineers to deploy/modify code and software packages regularly
- Tuning, troubleshooting and scaling systems that runs Very Large Databases (VLDB) – must have curiosity and interest with the internal workings of a complex system.
- Together with the larger Engineering Team, you will share an on-call rotation
- To support occasional project requirements in out of hours.
Mandatory Traits and Skillsets
- Analytical mind and keen sense of software logic
- Effective communicator to act as bridge between developers/project managers and customers.
- Understanding of OSI & TCP/IP
- Understanding of Basic Network Switching and Routing Technologies
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows Servers and Linux administration preferably with Red-hat
- Must adapt to working in high pressure environment and handle multiple priorities.
- Advantageous Skillsets & Potential Growth Opportunities:
Working experience in
- Supporting complex, scalable Big Data Systems and VLDBs.
- Supporting industry standard databases like Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server
- Supporting Microsoft technologies like Active Directory and GPO
- Supporting network equipment from Cisco or Arista
- Database query languages with TSQL or PL/SQL
- Database and Server monitoring, maintenance, resource management, capacity planning and performance tuning for mission critical systems.
- At least one of the high level languages like Powershell, Vbscript, Python
- Project management processes
- Relational databases
- Big Data framework and related technology stack like Hadoop, Parquet, HBase, AVRO, HDFS, Mesos, YARN
- Search engines and NoSQL like ElasticSearch, Cassandra, MongoDB
- Deployment tools like Ansible and Puppet
- Messaging systems like Kafka, ActiveMQ
- Processing frameworks like MapReduce, Spark
Note: This role will require Singapore Government G-50 security clearance
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Applied Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.