We’re looking for Backend Developers to write and maintain software which our 1m customers trust with their money 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
About the job
Reporting to one of our development team leads, you will be responsible for building code that supports the financial futures of our users, by:
- Understanding the requirements of our core payment system and of new financial products and features.
- Working closely in a cross-functional team with members of our product, QA and DevOps groups to deliver products on time and within budget.
- Performing PR reviews and communicating your work to the wider development team.
- Consulting with product owners and other stakeholders about the implications and future directions of your work.
We don’t silo our Developers, so you are encouraged to work across backend, web frontend, and apps to implement your features.
BigPay operates on a core + elective basis, so you will also be encouraged to participate in some of:
- Performing PR reviews and mentoring more junior members of the team.
- Managing feature delivery and release for your team.
- Providing input into architecture and specification.
- Maintaining our toolsets and deployment pipelines.
- Writing about our work for the outside world in blogs, white papers and so forth.
Apps in BigPay are mostly written in Dart using flutter, but there is still quite a bit of legacy native code in Objective-C/Swift and Kotlin around.
Our backend consists of services (microservices or domain-separated monoliths depending on product) written in a variety of languages - Java, Kotlin, Golang and Rust - communicating with Kafka and REST APIs and running on kubernetes in Google Cloud. Most modern code is in rust.
Our data is in various databases from postgresql and cockroachdb to BigQuery.
Web interfaces are built in angular or react and we use python for tooling and data manipulation.
We are technology-agnostic and will adopt the best tool for a job. All our code goes through PR and ships to production via a continuous delivery pipeline.
To be successful
You should have:
- Any level of experience in software development (we are happy to take graduates).
- A good first degree in Computer Science or a related discipline.
- An enthusiasm for technology and an ability to learn new things quickly.
- To be a self-starter, willing to take responsibility for deliverables and able to organise to deliver.
Experience with the following will be helpful but is not essential:
- Rust, Kotlin, or Java
- Spring Boot
- Docker or other container technologies
- React or Angular
We would particularly welcome applications from people who can work across boundaries between development, devops, mobile and web frontend.
- Join a fearless adventure, where your opinion and input is highly contributional.
- Work in a fast paced, growing company where you will be empowered to succeed.
- An environment where you can challenge and be challenged.
- You will be surrounded by a multidisciplinary group of experts.
- Competitive salary & benefits.