The Facebook Connectivity team builds the bleeding edge technology that will allow Facebook to connect our next billion users. Through the Telecom Infra Project (TIP), Facebook has partnered with over 500 global technology and telecom leaders to design, build, and deploy new telecom technologies. Our projects are aimed at delivering connectivity to people without access to the internet and increasing connectivity for people with access to existing, but inadequate network infrastructures. The Connectivity Deployment team works closely with cross-functional partners to support engineering, testing, and deployments across the globe. Deployment Engineers are responsible for designing and implementing connectivity solutions in partnership with OEMs and network operators.This role will involve extensive lab work, testing, and validation of new technologies within Facebook Connectivity and TIP programs. You will work closely with OEM, ODM, Operator, and SI partners. You will contribute to conceiving, developing and launching tools to support network automation and support end to end testing, lab, and field trials.
- Design, build, and integrate end-to-end network designs to integrate connectivity solutions into carrier/ISP networks.
- Develop test automation integrated with CI/CD pipeline to qualify software before a push in production.
- Strong on TCP/IP network design and implementation.
- Interface directly with partners and serve as an escalation point for engineering and product teams.
- Provide deployment and troubleshooting support for network integration activities during field trials of connectivity solutions.
- Support the development, testing, and integration of new hardware and software connectivity solutions.
- Perform both internal and external lab testing to validate and benchmark off the shelf as well as inbuilt connectivity components.
- Work cross-functionally with partners, project managers, network, software, and hardware engineers to validate equipment and software, create network solutions, lead network trials, and create operational best practices to solve connectivity problems.
- Work cross-functionally with local municipalities, engineering, and system integrators.
- Proactively contribute to and maintain technical and training documentation.
- Work with internal and external partners, understand their challenges, define and deliver automation solutions to address challenges.
- Ability to travel internationally, up to 25% of the time. We are working across time zones, remote teams, and cultures.
- Experience in a similar role for at least 6+ years.
- Knowledge in Linux OS/Networking.
- Experience in at least one programming language like Python, Perl, C/C++, or Go for developing automation software or tooling.
- Experience debugging issues within custom code.
- Hands-on experience with Network Test Equipment like Spirent, IXIA, etc.
- Knowledge of network protocols (TCP/UDP, DHCP, DNS) and experience with IPv4 and IPv6.
- Experience working in a multi-vendor environment with hands-on experience with networking hardware.
- Hands-on experience designing and deploying scaled network solutions at mobile network operators (MNO), regional ISP, or Telcos.
- Demonstrated expertise with AWS/Azure Deployment, Docker, Kubernetes, CI/CD pipeline
- 4+ years of work experience responsible for designing, deploying, and operating networks. Experience configuring and troubleshooting routing and switching protocols (BGP, IS-IS, MPLS, RSVP-TE, RSTP, VRRP).
- Experience working with and troubleshooting wireless networks and wireless telecom equipment, including 3G/4G/5G cellular, Wi-Fi, and microwave networks.
- Experience with carrier backhaul technologies, including microwave and optical transport networks.
- Experience validating and benchmarking network and transport hardware using standard industry test tools and equipment (Iperf, Ixia, Spirent, Xena).
- Experience with open source technologies (Openstack, Docker, Swarm/Kubernetes, ONF, OCP).
- Experience configuring and deploying VMs and Cloud Infrastructure (AWS, Azure).
- Experience building technical documentation to include procedure, training materials, user guides, and customer documentation.
- Understanding of AC/DC power, fiber, and copper cabling.
- Develop test automation frameworks.
- Experience in developing network operations tools (e.g., collections systems, software push systems, etc.).
- Familiarity with fronthaul, midhaul, backhaul networks in the context of O-RAN / OpenRAN networks
- Experience with distributed and disaggregated RAN technologies such as OpenRAN