Join us as we support Singapore’s vision of building a Smart Nation - a nation of possibilities empowered through info-communications technology and related engineering.
Who We Are
GovTech's Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (DSAI) division uses technology and data to help deliver high-quality digital services to citizens and businesses in Singapore. We build software products for government agencies to better understand and use their data to improve operations and decision making.
What The Role Is
As a lead/principal software engineer, you will:
- Provide technical leadership to engineers by coaching and mentoring through end-to-end software development and promote team engagement and motivation.
- Build up the software engineering capabilities in AI Platforms.
- Lead the development of end-to-end central data analytics and AI products/platforms with your team.
- Perform hands-on technical and functional guidance to design, maintain, build, integrate and test complex software components according to the functional and technical design specifications.
- Give recommendations for estimates, resource needs, milestones and risks; ensure effective delegation, monitoring tasks, identifying risks and handling mitigation and critical issues.
- Learn and share knowledge in a multi-disciplinary team
- Establish and drive best practices.
- Help with recruiting.
You are not just here to write code, but also to figure out what we should be building and how we should build it.
Your job will be to bring expertise and capability to the public sector. Sometimes this means coding new systems from scratch. Other times this means using the best solutions the community has to offer. We use cloud services, open source software, and commodity hardware as far as possible. Knowing what to build and what to reuse lets us avoid wasting time on solved problems and focus on delivering actual value.
What It Is Like Working Here
We build products that serve a variety of agency users, who use them to solve highly meaningful problems pertinent to our society, from transportation, to education, to healthcare. The public sector is full of opportunities where even the simplest software can have a big impact on people’s lives. We are here to improve how we live as a society through what we can offer as a government.
- Rapid Prototyping - Instead of spending too much time debating ideas we prefer testing them. This identifies potential problems quickly, and more importantly, conveys what is possible to others easily.
- Reliable Productization - To scale an idea, a prototype or a Minimum Viable Product to a software product, we scrutinize and commit to its usability, reliability, scalability and maintainability.
- Ownership - In addition to technical responsibilities, this means having ideas on how things should be done and taking responsibility for seeing them through. Building something that you believe in is the best way to build something good.
- Continuous Learning - Working on new ideas often means not fully understanding what you are working on. Taking time to learn new architectures, frameworks, technologies, and even languages is not just encouraged but essential.
What We Are Looking For
- 8+ years full stack software engineering experience in building scalable products
- Demonstrated experience providing technical leadership in product teams
- Proven experience in architecting and developing solutions to complex and ambiguous problems
- Experience in modern full-stack web application technologies
- Experience with data warehousing and data engineering and implementing efficient data pipelines
- Exposure to cloud or on-prem production environment, and experience in deployment
- Understanding of devops, CI/CD
- Have strong analytical, conceptualization and problem-solving skills. Able to take broad, strategic perspectives, and when necessary, drill deep to understand business needs and challenges
- Experience in developing technical work processes
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Have an interest in data science and machine learning
- Take the initiative to make things happen
- Want to work for the public good
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company as we believe that diversity is meaningful to innovation. Our employee benefits are based on a total rewards approach, offering a holistic and market-competitive suite of perks. This includes generous leave benefits to meet your work-life needs. We trust that you will get the job done wherever you are, and whatever works best for you – so work from home or take a break to exercise if you need to*. We also believe it’s important for you to keep honing your craft in the constantly-evolving tech landscape, so we provide and support a plethora of in-house and external learning and development opportunities all year round
*Subject to the nature of your job role that might require you to be onsite during fixed hours