Join us as we support Singapore’s vision of building a Smart Nation - a nation of possibilities empowered through info-communications technology and related engineering.
As a Principal Data Engineer in the Data Engineering team of GovTech’s Data Science and Artificial Intelligence Division, you are responsible for helping to shape the direction of the data engineering domain in GovTech; working with other domain experts, the delivery teams, vendors, and partners to influence technology roadmaps and the adoption of suitable data solutions across government. In addition, you will teach, mentor, and proactively grow fellow data engineers within the organization.
You will be leading multiple teams of data engineers to drive impact at scale, by building whole-of-government data infrastructure to power the insights needed for evidence-based decision-making and enhancing agencies’ service-delivery. You will architect, design and build next-generation central data infrastructure to galvanise digitalisation in the public sector. Taking a more integrated approach to lay the foundation infrastructure and driving pervasive adoption of advanced data technologies throughout the economy and society, you will architect solutions that enable public agencies and sectoral partners to better integrate, exploit and understand their data to improve operations and decision-making, and deliver high-quality digital services to citizens and businesses in Singapore.
Join us on this journey to make a difference for the nation and our future generations, if you are:
- Experienced leading data pipeline building and data wrangling and enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up as part of multiple cross-functional teams,
- Have strong project management and organizational skills, self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs across multiple teams, systems and products,
- Excited by the prospect of optimizing or even re-designing central and agencies’ data architecture to support next generation of government products and data initiatives, and
- Recognized expert with proven technical leadership, experienced working in a agile team to build systems from architecture to deployment for cloud and on-prem infrastructure, and
- Have the desire to serve the public good through the use of technology.
What you will be working on:
- Take the driving seat and lead our data engineers in complex technical projects to:
- Expand and optimize our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimize data flow systems for cross functional teams in a secured and scalable manner.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements, transforming data into formats that are easy to consume and analyse.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements, e.g., automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infra for greater scalability.
- Build the infra required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a variety of data sources using SQL and industry standard Infra-as-Code tools.
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into key performance metrics and support our next gen of products and data initiatives.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to support their data and data pipelining use cases, and ensure optimal and secured data delivery architecture is consistent across projects, products and platforms.
- Drive innovative initiatives that uplift data capability across the government sector:
- Develop a strategic sense of key organisations, software and hardware tools, methodologies, and best practices in the data engineering landscape.
- Be the bridge between engineering and product line management and translate market requirements into product definitions and architecture designs.
- Analyse and solve complex data engineering problems, and translate architecture designs into implementations that satisfy the market requirements.
- Educate the team on new technological advances and work alongside them in proof-of-concept research projects and subsequent agile product delivery.
- Provide expert perspective to help shape data-related strategy and initiatives, and be our technical ambassador by writing internal blogs or publishing white papers.
What we are looking for:
- Candidate with 8+ years of experience in a Lead Data Engineer role, who has attained a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or other relevant engineering degree.
- In-depth working knowledge across a variety of relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including efficient query authoring, performance optimisation and troubleshooting.
- Experience building and optimizing data, data pipelines, and architectures, with processes to support transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for further improvement.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and scalable data stores.
- A successful history of processing and extracting value from large datasets from different sources and systems, with strong analytics skills related to working with unstructured data.
- You should also have experience using the following software/tools:
- Big data and stream-processing tools: Hadoop, Spark, Beam, Flink, Kafka, etc.
- Data pipelining and workflow management tools: Luigi, Airflow, etc
- Cloud computing environments and services: AWS, GCP, Azure
- DevSecOps tools: Git, Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform etc
- Programming languages: Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company as we believe that diversity is meaningful to innovation. Our employee benefits are based on a total rewards approach, offering a holistic and market-competitive suite of perks. This includes generous leave benefits to meet your work-life needs. We trust that you will get the job done wherever you are, and whatever works best for you – so work from home or take a break to exercise if you need to*. We also believe it’s important for you to keep honing your craft in the constantly-evolving tech landscape, so we provide and support a plethora of in-house and external learning and development opportunities all year round
*Subject to the nature of your job role that might require you to be onsite during fixed hours”