Join us as we support Singapore’s vision of building a Smart Nation - a nation of possibilities empowered through info-communications technology and related engineering.
The Data Science & Artificial Intelligence Division (DSAID) works with public sector agencies in using data science and AI to improve policy outcomes, service delivery and operational efficiency. We extract data-driven insights and build intelligent platforms to add value to the work of our partner agencies. We also help public sector agencies transform by partnering them in building data science expertise, formulating data strategies and setting up the necessary data infrastructure.
How do we work:
- Outcome Driven - Our projects are not academic exercises. We are driven by the “so what” and make sure that our findings and models can be translated into tangible impact.
- Start Small and Move Fast - We build things quickly. If it works, good — how can we scale this up further? If not, what went wrong and what can we do better next time?
- Ownership - You are not just here to write code, but also to figure out what we should be building and how we should build it.
- Continuous Learning - Working on new ideas often means not fully understanding what you are working on. Taking time to learn new architectures, frameworks, technologies, and even languages are not just encouraged but essential.
- We are in this Together - We draw from the deep domain knowledge of our partners and best practices from our community of experts.
Read more about us from the team's blog https://medium.com/dsaid-govtech
As the Principal Data Scientist, you will lead the central data science team at DSAID, where you will be involved in whole-of-government efforts to grow data science capabilities as well as specific consultancy projects.
You will lead the development of systems and processes for the practice of data science in government agencies. You will also identify technical areas for skills upgrading and develop relevant training materials on high-priority areas. The immediate recipient for these efforts is the central data science team, but you should design them with view for eventual adoption by data science practitioners at other agencies as well.
You are expected to be well-versed in DSAID’s approach towards data science projects and oversee the central team’s execution of projects throughout the entire project lifecycle from scoping to delivery. Your responsibilities include engaging stakeholders from other government agencies to explore data science opportunities to ensure there is a constant pipeline of projects for the team, and helping to translate heuristic problem statements into quantitative projects.
These projects are typically cross-agency or cross-domain in nature, but may also include agency-specific projects to help balance the workload at agencies with a retainer or forward-deployed team arrangement.
This role requires an individual with strong technical and systemisation skills as it involves developing a robust foundation for practising data science within and across government agencies. Individuals with strong data science skills, keen interest in developing work processes, and experience in data science consultancy projects are welcome to apply.
What you will be working on:
You will be involved in a range of tasks including the following:
- Develop, standardise, and optimise data science-related work processes, automating where practical, so that data scientists can focus their energy and attention on higher value areas at work.
- Deepen the professional expertise of DSAID’s data scientists by regularly reviewing their technical competencies, identifying and prioritising areas for training, facilitating exchange of ideas and experiences on novel approaches (e.g. new machine learning techniques, new ways to apply existing techniques to different problems), and conducting master-level classes to bring the team up to speed in areas assessed to be most critical for DSAID’s continued professional excellence.
- Oversee sourcing, scoping, and execution of data science consultancy projects. This will involve leading brainstorming sessions with the relevant key stakeholders to identify relevant business problems, determine the project scope, iterate on findings, and practising agile methodology in managing the project.
- Provide guidance to fellow data scientists on their data science projects. Depending on relative skill level between you and the project team in question, you may be involved in validation of technique / approach used to tackle a specific problem, code review, advise on best practices for model deployment, and/or design of presentation deck to senior management.
- Evaluate key trends and research developments in new statistical and machine learning models, and identify areas / opportunities to apply these techniques in projects to grow the capability of the team.
What we are looking for:
- An advanced degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Economics, Quantitative Social Science, or related discipline. PhD are preferred. Master’s degree with strong practical experience may also be considered.
- At least 8 years of relevant experience in data science, preferably with experience managing a technical team.
- Expert-level data science skills in statistical analysis, machine learning and natural language processing
- Deep knowledge in model productionisation with skillsets in ML Ops, DevOps or software engineering
- Knowledge in data management, data warehousing, data engineering
- Have strong analytical, conceptualisation and problem-solving skills. Able to take broad, strategic perspectives, and when necessary, drill deep to understand business needs and challenges.
- Experience in developing technical work processes
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, along with the ability to pitch ideas and influence stakeholders at all levels on the adoption of analytics. Able to present technical concepts and results of technical analyses to non-technical audience in a concise manner.
- Have passion for improving public service through the use of analytics and data.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company as we believe that diversity is meaningful to innovation. Our employee benefits are based on a total rewards approach, offering a holistic and market-competitive suite of perks. This includes generous leave benefits to meet your work-life needs. We trust that you will get the job done wherever you are, and whatever works best for you – so work from home or take a break to exercise if you need to*. We also believe it’s important for you to keep honing your craft in the constantly-evolving tech landscape, so we provide and support a plethora of in-house and external learning and development opportunities all year round.
*Subject to the nature of your job role that might require you to be onsite during fixed hours