Join us as we support Singapore’s vision of building a Smart Nation - a nation of possibilities empowered through info-communications technology and related engineering.
Who We Are
GovTech's Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (DSAI) division uses technology and data to help deliver high-quality digital services to citizens and businesses in Singapore. We build software products for government agencies to better understand and use their data to improve operations and decision making.
What The Role Is
Product managers help make sure the right things get done. At a high level, this means establishing a clear vision for what a product should be and what needs to be done to get there. On a day to day basis, this means handling all the different facets of a project and making sure they are coordinated. And at the core, this means building a foundation of knowledge across user needs, technical constraints, and design goals so you can act as a bridge across all of them.
Concretely This Means
- Making good product decisions
- Working with designers to create intuitive user experiences
- Creating multiple proposals for the many forms a product can take
- Driving the team toward consensus on what the product should be
- Understanding users better than anyone else
- Conducting user studies to understand their needs and problems
- Analysing data to uncover usage patterns that inform product decisions
- Researching the industry to understand existing solutions
- Work closely with the engineering team
- Translating the product strategy into detailed, actionable plans for business and engineering teams
- Communicating across teams
- Explaining technical considerations to non-technical audiences
- Public-speaking, giving presentations and writing papers
- Identifying key stakeholders, including government agencies, industry partners and the broader tech community, and convincing them to give their support
- Coordinating efforts across multiple functions including marketing, legal and finance
- Keeping things organised
- Running efficient meetings to keep people updated and make good decisions
- Prioritising, planning, and tracking what needs to be done
- Documenting key information and decisions about the product
What It Is Like Working Here
We build products that serve a variety of agency users, who use them to solve highly meaningful problems pertinent to our society, from transportation, to education, to healthcare. The public sector is full of opportunities where even the simplest software can have a big impact on people’s lives. We are here to improve how we live as a society through what we can offer as a government.
- Rapid Prototyping - Instead of spending too much time debating ideas we prefer testing them. This identifies potential problems quickly, and more importantly, conveys what is possible to others easily.
- Reliable Productization - To scale an idea, a prototype or a Minimum Viable Product to a software product, we scrutinize and commit to its usability, reliability, scalability and maintainability.
- Ownership - In addition to technical responsibilities, this means having ideas on how things should be done and taking responsibility for seeing them through. Building something that you believe in is the best way to build something good.
- Continuous Learning - Working on new ideas often means not fully understanding what you are working on. Taking time to learn new architectures, frameworks, technologies, and even languages is not just encouraged but essential.
What We Are Looking For
The customers for our products are normally agency users, which means that prior public service experience will help. A disciplined approach and strong problem-solving instincts are fundamental to succeed. Your aptitude for completing the tasks and attitude to continuous learning are more valued than any formal certification.
We Look For People Who
- Have solid communication and stakeholder management skills
- Can analyse and use data to solve problems
- Have an interest in data science and machine learning
- Have good design sense
- Have experience writing code
- Take initiative to make things happen
- Want to work for the public good