Join us as we support Singapore’s vision of building a Smart Nation - a nation of possibilities empowered through info-communications technology and related engineering.
About This Team
The ultimate vision of GovTech's Accessibility Enabling team is that all government digital services will be inclusive and accessible to all, regardless of ability or disability. As a new central team, its role is to enable government digital teams with the awareness, resources and skills to embed digital accessibility within their products and services. This new team complements Singapore’s vision of a more inclusive nation and community.
What you will be working on:
- This is an all-round role that requires you to flex muscles both in hands-on software engineering and technical consultancy, working with clients to deliver accessible outcomes.
- Co-develop accessibility improvement projects located within government product teams
- Develop accessibility subject matter expertise and stay up-to-date on assistive technology, native platform accessibility and other technological developments
- Drive internal process improvements across product teams, remove roadblocks, and deliver on high-impact projects with a focus on inclusion, efficiency, performance, and quality
- Assess business impact, prioritize initiatives, and drive accountability in a fast-paced environment through project planning and strong interpersonal skills
- Collaborate with design and front-end teams to identify potential accessibility issues and drive resolutions
- Reviewing fellow developers' code
- Implement automated testing frameworks (e.g. Axe core) and leverage existing automation tools to identify accessibility issues during SDLC.
- Work closely with design system and frameworks teams, as well as engineering teams (including WOGAA), to improve systems-level support for Accessibility and drive engineering investments to enable step-change improvements in our ability to build and scale accessible products.
- Help drive product and tooling decisions to align with broader company initiatives. Provide hands-on consultancy during analysis, design, development, testing, implementation, and post implementation phases.
- Assist in populating a recommendation list over time on how to make a component/interaction more accessible with the consideration of the underlying technology so we can use it to answer future variations of similar questions faster and also allow users to find the answer themselves
- Compile a list of accessible third party js libraries for projects’ consideration.
- Set up working prototypes to educate teams on how accessible code works (e.g. ARIA properties) in tandem with various assistive technologies, and test for compatibility across various devices/browsers and majority of accessible screen reader combinations.
What we are looking for:
- Minimum of 3 years in software engineering-related experience is preferred.
- Systematic problem solving approach, coupled with a strong sense of ownership and drive
- Demonstrated knowledge of digital accessibility and inclusion including digital accessibility regulations & Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 Level A and AA requirements. (e.g., Section 508, ADA);
- Experience in front-end development with React.js is highly advantageous
- Strong technical knowledge and are comfortable participating in technical decisions made in your team
- Experience in agile development teams, employing relevant methodologies and practices such as Scrum, Extreme Programming, Continuous Integration and Deployment
- Have experience with assistive technologies such as JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver, and Talkback
- Experiences in the following would be advantageous Agile Frameworks (e.g. Scrum), Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment, Cloud/PaaS platforms, such as AWS/Heroku/OpenShift, Docker and/or other related container technologies/tools, Automated testing tools, Infrastructure as a Code
- Proven experience creating and deploying tech programs or products from inception to delivery
- Experience writing code that meets accessibility standards such as the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
- Candidates with more than 5 years of relevant experience in software engineering may be considered for senior positions
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company as we believe that diversity is meaningful to innovation. Our employee benefits are based on a total rewards approach, offering a holistic and market-competitive suite of perks. This includes generous leave benefits to meet your work-life needs. We trust that you will get the job done wherever you are, and whatever works best for you – so work from home or take a break to exercise if you need to*. We also believe it’s important for you to keep honing your craft in the constantly-evolving tech landscape, so we provide and support a plethora of in-house and external learning and development opportunities all year round.
*Subject to the nature of your job role that might require you to be onsite during fixed hours