As a member of a small (but growing!) team, you’ll have the unique opportunity to help set the direction for database infrastructure management at HRT and have a significant impact on a critical part of our existing and growing infrastructure. We’re looking for someone who is excited about taking ownership of improving the existing database infrastructure and designing the future of databases at HRT.
We are looking to hire multiple engineers to work together to keep systems running smoothly, continuously improve our infrastructure’s reliability and performance, and to aid in rapid prototyping of new systems. We’re not particularly concerned with existing systems knowledge -- we’re looking for somebody who is able to understand the broader context of our work and who can research and synthesize new information in order to come up with solutions. We also need a strong communicator who can collect feedback and put it into action. This isn’t a programming role, but you should be able to write readable Python scripts.
A typical day in the life of a Database SRE at HRT could look like:
- Scaling and productionizing classic DBs such as SQL server, mariaDB, and Postgresql
- Scaling and productionizing data lake technologies like Trino and Kafka
- Setting up a new system like Pinot, Druid, Dremio
- Design, build, and maintain HRT’s database infrastructure across multiple database types and use cases, from globally distributed trading infrastructure to large-scale research.
- Install, configure, and scale databases and big data analytics solutions for large-scale research
- Investigate and improve performance of queries and supporting infrastructure (Debian and Windows)
- Build proofs of concept to test out new solutions
- Build out a team to improve database management company-wide
- 2+ years of experience working in database management and infrastructure engineering
- Familiarity with state-of-the-art DB technologies and tradeoffs: distributed DBs, time-series DBs, relaxed consistency models, columnar storage
- Knowledge and experience with Linux or Windows, must be comfortable using Linux/UNIX command line tools
- Extensive experience with at least one of: MySQL, Postgres, Yugabyte, SQL Server, CockroachDB, Trino, Kafka
- Solid scripting, performance troubleshooting, and networking knowledge
- Experience wrangling a documentation-heavy technical problem. Not about coming up with a good algorithm, but rather figuring out how to glue pieces together and which pieces are the right ones
- Interest in diving into the JVM GC, AWS and baremetal performance benchmarking, etc. We don’t necessarily need someone who knows these things, but someone who would be able to dive in to their research and come back with some workable solutions.
- Exceptional communication skills - this role will require cross-collaboration with various stakeholders across HRT
- You are resourceful, have a sense of urgency, and are motivated to make things better and to always be learning. You don’t only want to just get the job done, you always want to deliver the highest quality work.
Hudson River Trading (HRT) brings a scientific approach to trading financial products. We have built one of the world's most sophisticated computing environments for research and development. Our researchers are at the forefront of innovation in the world of algorithmic trading.
At HRT we welcome a variety of expertise: mathematics and computer science, physics and engineering, media and tech. We’re a community of self-starters who are motivated by the excitement of being at the cutting edge of automation in every part of our organization—from trading, to business operations, to recruiting and beyond. We value openness and transparency, and celebrate great ideas from HRT veterans and new hires alike. At HRT we’re friends and colleagues – whether we are sharing a meal, playing the latest board game, or writing elegant code. We embrace a culture of togetherness that extends far beyond the walls of our office.
Feel like you belong at HRT? Our goal is to find the best people and bring them together to do great work in a place where everyone is valued. HRT is proud of our diverse staff; we have offices all over the globe and benefit from our varied and unique perspectives. HRT is an equal opportunity employer; so whoever you are we’d love to get to know you.