This role is on a DevOps team optimizing the deployment and management of Illumina’s global cloud-based informatics assets, such as BaseSpace Sequence Hub, Variant Interpreter, Trusight Software Suit, Cohort Analyzer, and Correlation engine, while also providing front line development and operational support of those assets. You will be working on various cutting-edge DevOps tools and technologies (Terraform, Ansible, Jenkins, Kubernetes, docker, Cloud etc) to manage Cloud-based enterprise applications to provide breakthrough genomics informatics solutions worldwide enabling the transformation of human health through DNA sequencing.
Tasks And Responsibilities
- Automation and implementation of highly available and resilient platforms in cloud
- Implementation and maintenance of workflows and procedures to ensure consistency and auditability in a managed infrastructure
- Maintain and extend the code base for an on-market SaaS genomic application extending the capability, improving robustness and quality, and optimizing for performance
- Write and peer review automation code with an eye to creating a flexible, scalable codebase
- Develop solutions to drive optimization of cloud operations around cost management, time to market, security and privacy, and delivery of worldwide capability
- Troubleshooting and creating tools to resolve incidents
- Work within and enforce security and regulatory compliance procedures
- Document and communicate procedures, configurations and standards effectively
- Apply state of the art cloud best practices (e.g. stateless applications; analytical automated logging, diagnostics, and optimization; automated “one click” creation of new geographic AWS enterprise application instances; application autoscaling; and automated testing of global cloud instances) in order to deliver toward operational objectives
Listed responsibilities are an essential, but not exhaustive list, of the usual duties associated with the position. Changes to individual responsibilities may occur due to business needs.
- Programming skills – and of python, go, ruby, bash and/or various scripting
- Expertise in administration, configuration, optimization and monitoring of Linux at scale. CentOS, ubuntu and Amazon Linux are our base distributions.
- Solid understanding of networking, network routing, and trouble shooting
- Skilled in the implementation of monitoring tools like Splunk, ELK, cloud watch, cloud trial, and others
- Experience with Public (AWS, Azure, or Alibaba) or Private (OpenStack. etc) cloud-based deployment and support.
- Experience with modern container systems such as Docker Swarm, Kubernetes, ECS, EKS, Fargate, Vagrant, etc. preferred
- Experience with one or more automation tools such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Salt, Terraform, CloudFormation
- The ability to pick up new technologies quickly and rapidly deep-dive
- Use of large-scale data processing tools such as Hadoop, Elastic Search
- A strong preference for collaborative teamwork and work/knowledge sharing
All listed requirements are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.
- Typically requires a minimum of 5 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 3 years and a Master’s degree.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.