Software Engineering Intern (18-24 Weeks)
The Software Engineering Intern will be required to complete a full-time 18-24 weeks program from December 2021 to May 2022. Selected candidates will be invited to submit a video interview, and top candidates will be shortlisted for an assessment event. Offers will be extended following the event.
The Software Engineering Intern will report directly to the Software Engineering Manager and will be part of the Software Development team, working on Illumina’s Software Informatics projects. He/She will have the chance to be involved in the full Software Development Lifecycle, and work in an agile scrum team consisting of the product owner, developers as well as testers. The individual will gain hands-on experience in real software product development, learning best practices in design, coding, testing and development tools such as Confluence, JIRA, JAMA.
Roles And Responsibilities
- Work as part of Agile scrum teams to design, implement, and test the software that manages the laboratory information in the health industry.
- Participate in all aspects of our agile development process, from sprint planning to daily scrum meetings and sprint demos.
- Create and execute unit tests to verify functionality.
- Create and execute manual/automated tests.
- Troubleshoot and resolve software defects.
- Contribute to software design reviews and code reviews.
- Learn and have fun!
Qualifications And Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate, master’s or PhD program, ideally in Computer Sciences, or Engineering
- Competent in at least one software programming language preferably Java and / or C#
- Solid understanding of programming fundamentals such as object-oriented programming, data structures, and algorithms
- Understanding design patterns is a plus
- Experience in extracurricular activities such as hackathon, open source projects is a big plus
- Passion for technology
This internship opportunity aims to provide students whose interests and directions lie beyond research in an academic environment, with practical experience of how they can continue to apply and leverage on the knowledge they have acquired in a different role.
The goals are to help the student achieve the following learning objectives:
- Real-life experience of working within a software team in a multinational company
- Understand best practices in software development
- Agile software development methodology
- Develop strong interpersonal and communication skills
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.