As an experienced member of our Software Engineering Group, we look first and foremost for people who are passionate around solving business problems through innovation and engineering practices. You'll be required to apply your depth of knowledge and expertise to all aspects of the software development lifecycle, as well as partner continuously with your many stakeholders on a daily basis to stay focused on common goals. We embrace a culture of experimentation and constantly strive for improvement and learning. You'll work in a collaborative, trusting, thought-provoking environment-one that encourages diversity of thought and creative solutions that are in the best interests of our customers globally.
This role is to design and develop various applications, processes and backend software components in Athena. Working with Middle Office, Product Control, Structuring, Trading and Sales teams for Macro Index desk, you will be called upon to deliver quality code in a fast paced environment that evolves as business opportunities present themselves. The objective is to quickly understand the requirements, propose solutions and deliver with impact, while identifying the gaps in the system pro-actively, supporting the existing infrastructure and prioritizing on the go, while maintaining a high level of interaction with the business. A record of delivering high quality, well-tested solutions in a mature controlled environment as an individual contributor and as a manager is a prerequisite. The role will require an ability to attain clear understanding of Athena environment and of the unique design considerations that come into play in a diverse and highly interdependent systems environment.
Athena is J.P. Morgan's cross-market risk management and trading system that provides functionality for traders, salespeople and operations staff globally. It is used in our foreign exchange, fixed income, credit and commodities businesses. Athena includes a globally replicated object-oriented database, a powerful dependency graph and a fully integrated stack across pricing, risk and trading tools. The code is a combination of Python and C++: C++ for speed, and Python for flexibility and rapid but controlled releases. Athena is designed to provide a continuous deployment environment, and pull developers close to the business to help increase revenues, while improving operational processes and controls to reduce costs .
This role requires a wide variety of strengths and capabilities, including:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- 10 or more years of Software Design and Development experience in performant, large-scale system development in Python.
- Experience in Desk Aligned / RAD development, working with front office functions partnering with the business.
- Experience in finance, preferably in Macro Indices.
- Experience in Event Sourcing based, calculation dependency graph driven, distributed, integrated risk, pricing and trade management platform.
- Good understanding of Agile development methodologies, responsible for elucidating and agreeing requirements, building relationships with business users, and taking ownership of deliverables all the way to the production environment.
- Focus on testing through the entire development cycle to produce reliable and maintainable software.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact confidently and credibly with business users, to understand and agree business requirements and their prioritisation while building a good understanding of end to end business processes.
- Enthusiastic to keep learning and growing, in technical aptitude, business understanding and personal effectiveness.
- Ability to collaborate with and influence other technology teams to deliver end to end solutions to the business in a constantly changing environment.
- Eager to take ownership of work, have real business impact, overcome obstacles and take it through to completion, working as part of this team and collaborating with a much bigger community of developers sharing the technology and code base.
- Willing to support what one/one's team has built.
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms and enterprise architectures.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.