At the moment, we are growing our business and scaling up our streaming platform. We are looking for multiple Associate Software Engineers to join our Platform Engineering teams in Singapore and be part of the team that helps deliver a world-class streaming experience for millions of users across the globe.
We are taking an approach where we identify raw talent with an engineering mindset for solving challenging problems; and then match them with the team where they can make the most impact. We will invest in your skills development and support you in your career progression.
Successful candidates can expect to join one of the following Platform Engineering teams:
The SRE Team is responsible for how Viki code is configured, deployed, and monitored, as well as the service availability, performance management, security, and capacity planning. We take a multifaceted approach that transcends all areas of the Viki infrastructure.
The Core Services Team is responsible for building large distributed components that run Viki’s global streaming platform. We develop and maintain services that power Viki's API and business intelligence, as well as make architecture changes to scale them. We handle everything from Viki's media API, users & communication subsystems, subscriptions, content delivery and many other backend components critical to a video streaming platform.
The Community Engineering Team is tasked with building and maintaining tools and systems that impact every second that a Viki’s consumer spends watching our shows. We use the contributions of our amazing community of volunteers, in addition to other avenues to create and maintain the subtitles our viewers experience in their preferred language. This team is accountable for bringing the tools, services and experiences to reality, so that it enables our community to manage these subtitles, and eventually for our viewers to enjoy them. Some of the interesting problems the team is working on include:
- Rethinking and improving the reliability of how our community’s contributions are tracked and rewarded
- Making it easier for the newly interested users to find shows and become volunteer contributors
- Building tools to provide a communication platform for these volunteers to coordinate among themselves, creating video segments, subtitling, reviewing, and so on
- Moderation tools for our operations teams to ensure that our subtitles are of high quality
- Most importantly, building flexible pipelines that transforms all this data to generate the subtitle files and metadata, for the clients to serve
The Internal Tools & Workflows Team is responsible for building and maintaining systems which are a gateway into all business workflows at Rakuten Viki. It is crucial to a wide range of business teams, ranging from Content Operations, Marketing, Legal, Finance, Customer Experience, Product, and Engineering teams. We are scaling in terms of data we handle and adding a number of interesting workflows and features to this system. Some of those interesting problems the team is working on include:
- Creating digital workflows to manage legal contracts and financial agreements
- Highly reliable workflows for media encoding and media management
- Asset management at scale with millions of objects’ tagging and retrieval
- Contextual user information retrieval and workflows related to Customer Experience
- Complex business rules simplification at scale
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent fields
- 1-3 years of software engineering experience in a product development environment
- Fresh graduates are also encouraged to apply and will be considered
- Prior experience or knowledge with a backend development programming language/framework, databases, cloud technologies, version control, deployment practices
- Knowledge of microservices architecture
- API development experience
- Operational experience with CICD and Containerisation
- Building quality into the process of developing software and writing clean testable code.
Rakuten is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged.