The Platform Team at Viki is responsible for building large distributed components that run Viki’s global streaming platform. We develop and maintain services that power Viki's API and business intelligence, as well as make architecture changes to scale them. We handle everything from Viki's media API, users & communication subsystems, monetization & subscriptions, to video encoding & content delivery and many other backend components critical to a video streaming platform.
As we are preparing our backend for a massive business growth, we are in search of a Staff Software Engineer to join our team who shares a passion for tackling complexity and build platforms that can scale. This role reports to the Engineering Manager.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Technical ownership of a platform subsystem end-to-end architecturally
- Tackle large and complex technical challenges that come with scalability which are often not well defined
- Make design decisions and build solutions that are scalable, performant, extensible, maintainable for the long term
- Improve the reliability and efficiency of our services and eliminate vulnerabilities before they are discovered
- Contribute technical expertise to the team by proposing and driving new initiatives such as new technologies, processes or improvements and drive software engineering best practices
- Works with product stakeholders to help design roadmaps, prioritize between features/operational work/bug fixes
- Consistently look for opportunities to reduce the complexity of projects, services, and processes in order to get more done with less work
- Mentor junior engineers by providing technical guidance and constructive feedback and contribute to the recruiting effort of new engineers
- Actively promotes knowledge sharing and learning with team and across teams
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent fields
- 8-12 years of software engineering experience
- Proficient in designing and developing large scale distributed systems and microservices
- Extensive knowledge of practical operating system concepts around Linux/ Unix and networking
- Prior experience in developing large scale or high-volume consumer facing products including web applications and/or mobile applications
- Prior experience of providing technical leadership to a small team of engineers
- We don't require experience in any particular technology, but you should have the ability to chew through difficult technical problems and gain insights from them.
Rakuten is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged