At Sephora, we challenge ourselves, create new customer experiences, and problem-solve every day. Data plays a key role in that. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Head of Data to create and execute a visionary data strategy to drive Sephora SEA’s success. We are looking for a committed individual to lead a talented data team composed of data engineers and data scientists. Get ready to think creatively, work strategically, and make your mark at a leading global omni retailer. Together, we’re evolving, innovating, and reimagining the future of beauty and retail.
The team’s role is to empower several company functions and products with ETL pipelines and Machine Learning modelling. You will be at the forefront of pushing the boundaries of big data in the beauty industry.
Your mission will be to play a strategic and influential role in developing a long-term roadmap for data at Sephora SEA and enhancing existing capabilities. You will be agile, adept at both looking at the big picture and driving organizational success but also as a hands-on technical leader, providing mentorship to the data team. You will take ownership of the development of best practice processes for managing data, strategize new applications with data for the business and upskill the organization to be more data-driven. Reporting to the Chief Information Officer SEA, you will lead a growing and dynamic data team.
You will be a good fit to this challenge if you are an agile leader, passionate about dealing with both technical and non-technical stakeholders, translating and formalizing business priorities into actionable data engineering and data science projects. You will not only provide technical leadership to the data team but also utilize your strong business acumen and strategic initiative.
You will be based in Singapore with some travel across the region as and when required (when conditions allow).
You will shine here if you enjoy…
…Developing and executing data strategy
- Work with various functions to gain deep understanding of overall business and generate use-cases
- Lead the data team through early phrases of use-case exploration with stakeholders
- Establish a vision for Data Engineering and Data Science, with regards to higher-level business objectives
- Deliver impact through the management of multiple data sources, the deployment of ETL pipelines and ML products, serving the aforementioned vision for Data in the company.
- Drive forward ongoing AI/ML initiatives in personalization and demand planning
…Leading and evolving data science capabilities
- Integrate data insights from business processes and partner with business leads
- Identify improvements to existing data architecture and data flows
- Promote and ensure technical excellence within the team
- Oversee data reliability to build overall company trust in data to be more data-driven
- Define and improve on data science methods, toolsets and processes
- Analyse structured data to drive cognitive analytics with data regression models
…Managing and building an outstanding data team (data scientists & data engineers)
- Build, coach and develop the team with clear career path
- Provide individual and team leadership and technical knowledge to the data team to ensure they grow their capabilities
- Lead and mentor team members in data collection, pre-processing, feature engineering, data visualization and analysis
- Build energy and optimism around Sephora’s vision through effective and compelling communication; Model resilience by maintaining drive, optimism, and effectiveness in challenging circumstances
We would love to hear from you if…
- You have a minimum 6 years of experience with data science with prior experience managing a team
- Degree of a quantitative nature such as Computer Science/Data Science/Statistics/Mathematics/Economics/Engineering is preferred
- Entrepreneurial at heart and able to work in a fast-paced environment with company members and third-party vendors from highly diverse backgrounds
- A natural mentor with a sense of knowledge sharing and focus on individual personal development
- Good planning and organizational skills to balance and prioritize work
- Hands-on and solution-oriented
- Deep understanding of numbers, as well as a strong business acumen
- You have solid programming skills in Python, Go or Java
- You have working experience with infrastructure as code and managing data platforms such as
- Google Cloud & Amazon Web Services
- You have expertise in data engineering like
- SQL & data warehousing
- Streaming and messaging architectures
- Data pipeline design
- You have working knowledge of deploying machine learning products including
- Scikit Learn
Your Key Performance Indicators
- Strategizing of Data Roadmap with focus on business metrics impacted
- Accountable as team leader for execution of the data roadmap
- Drive conversion rate with focus on personalization and other innovations
- Optimization of internal functions with enabling data usage and practical application of ML, AI
- Data Warehouse: Uptime, Ease of adding / maintaining connectors, Data Quality
While at Sephora, you’ll enjoy…
- The people. You will be surrounded by some of the most talented, supportive, and kind leaders and teams – people you can be proud to work with. There is a strong technological, digital and analytical community at Sephora SEA as we develop and operate many of our platforms in-house and operate in a highly data driven environment.
- The learning. We invest heavily in training for our leaders and associates. Not just product knowledge but building a personalized career plan with you so you continue to evolve and build your skills. Our technology team members have access to a learning platform to make sure they can keep their skills relevant and up to date. We also run specific learning initiatives, an example in 2021 was the AWS Deepracer competition which allowed our engineers to learn and practice their AI skills in a fun and engaging way.
- The culture. As a leading beauty retailer, backed by the LVMH luxury brand, our reach is broad, and our impact is global. Yet there’s always room to explore. It’s in our DNA to innovate and, at Sephora, we have a strong entrepreneurial mindset as we continue to build many of our technology solutions in-house. Together, we reimagine the future of beauty and create unparalleled omnichannel customer experiences. With us, you can be yourself, because you are what sets us apart. This, is the future of beauty. Reimagine your future, at Sephora.