Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Airspace Mobility Solutions, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
Thales established its presence in Singapore in 1973 to support the expansion of aerospace-related activities in the Asia-Pacific region. Throughout the last four decades, the company grew from strength to strength and is today involved in the primary businesses of Aerospace (including Air Traffic Management), Defence & Security, Ground Transportation and Digital Identity & Security. Thales today employs over 2,100 people in Singapore across all its business areas.
The Aviation Innovation Research (AIR) Lab
Established in Nov 2019, the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) and Thales launched the S$30 million research lab in Singapore as a key nexus to accelerate the innovation and collaboration between CAAS and Thales for the next generation of Air Traffic Management (ATM).
Co-steered by the senior management from CAAS and Thales, AIR Lab is leveraging open and advanced technologies such as Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) to develop and demonstrate future ATM Proof-of-Concepts (POCs). The POCs in AIR Lab will allow quick integration of the new innovations that are developed into an ATM System. AIR Lab is also co-located with the Thales Digital Factory to synergise with the digital transformation efforts in Thales.
Strategically sited in the vibrant WeWork’s flagship in Suntec, the AIR Lab aims to accelerate the development of the next-gen of local ATM experts and nurture their talents. ATM domain experts, software developers/engineers and Air Traffic Controllers (ATCOs) from CAAS and Thales would also be working in concert and in an agile fashion on the POCs. Supported by the Aviation Transformation Programme (ATP) under the National Research Foundation, AIR Lab provides an open platform for multiple stakeholders in the ATM value chain; including AI experts, software engineers, local start-ups, and enterprises, to collaborate and overcome technological challenges faced by conventional aviation management.
The AIR Lab also provides an opportunity for innovative start-ups to participate in the excellence of Singapore’s own ATM ecosystem and to jointly develop solutions that can be scaled at a global level.
The DevOps/Software Integrator is responsible for the provisioning, packaging, deployment and administration of the project platform as well as contributing to development of components of this platform. Ready to be flexible and proactive and comfortable with learning a new domain and new concepts and techniques. The DevOps/Software Integrator will be working in an AGILE team, building world leading technology. A strong knowledge of Cloud technologies and Cloud-native approaches to integration, deployment and configuration of applications using DevOps principles will be a key value point for her / his contribution to the team.
As a software engineer who has integration skills, the DevOps/Software Integrator is as comfortable with boot-strapping physical devices as she / he is with the debugging at any level of the SW / platform stack, and advanced use of I/SDEs to contribute at source code level. Naturally she / he is a supreme power user of base OS (Linux) cli and shell scripting who eats automation tools for breakfast!
- Provisioning, packaging, deployment and administration of the software platform for a development, testing, validation, demonstration and operational purposes
- Management and maintenance of the platform infrastructures with a DevOps and IAC (infrastructure-as-code) approach
- Provisioning Cloud platform to meet the project requirements with cybersecurity implications identification
- To gather requirements, design, code and test software components and/or their integration process as assigned by the team leader
- Work in an agile, cross-functional multinational team, actively engaging to support the success of the team
- Delivery of high-quality best-practice clean code.
- To think out of the box to contribute to solving complex technical integration problems and to work collaboratively with the rest of the team to build a shared approach consensus
- Bachelor's Degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or Information Technology with a minimum of 5 years of experience or a Master’s degree in Computer Science or Information Technology with 3+ years of experience
- Strong experience in Cloud infra configuration and administration plus Linux system kernel level configuration. A certification is not required but would be advantageous.
- Strong knowledge of virtualization and containerization, including hypervisors (kvm), clustered deployment orchestration (Kubernetes), containers (Docker) and their Linux foundations
- Strong of infrastructure provisioning tools (Terraform) automation and configuration management tools (Ansible/Puppet) as well as container orchestration tools (Kubernetes)
- Strong knowledge of cloud technologies and cloud-native architectures for system design and delivery
- Good knowledge of common integration patterns (including cloud-native such as micro-services and streaming such as lambda and kappa patterns)
- Good knowledge of public APIs for web services using representations and deployments such as REST, RESTful web services and API Gateways
- Experience deploying tool chains for CI/CD and automated SW testing and deployment, with hands-on software design and development experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of Linux, CORE JAVA, Java 8
- Previous experience with large data storage and analytics platforms (Datalake) and data manipulation tooling, e.g. Kibana, Elasicsearch, LogStash
- Possess understanding and previous use of common integration patterns for web services and public API Gateway deployments, (ingress web-server, web-proxy, load-balancer, firewall, etc.)
- Experience with migrating physical platforms into a virtual environment
- Knowledge of real time software development and safety critical systems
- Knowledge of other languages (e.g. Kotlin, Go, TypeScript Ada or Java 6) or frameworks (React, Swing)
- Possess learning agility, flexibility and proactivity
- Comfortable with agile teamwork and customer engagement
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!