Zendesk is looking for a Software Engineer who is motivated and driven to make an impact for the future of customer support. You will be working on challenging problems of establishing a platform that provides crucial integration to make omnichannel experience possible. This position will be based out of our Asian HQ in Singapore, partnered with talented engineers from the team, and working on the building blocks to make great customer support possible.
This position will be focusing on the backend side to provide needed pieces so that different product offerings from Zendesk can be brought together into an unified experience. Starting with Support, Chat and Messaging, we aim to deliver a next generation integrated product that allows our customers to seamlessly use either channel, as well as Voice, in order to provide scalable customer support. A critical component of this strategy is an effort to provide a platform to integrate the respective backends of these products even more than they do right now, to deliver on a unified UX.
You’ll be part of this journey, and will work with teams in San Francisco, Melbourne, Montreal as well as other teams in Singapore, to take on responsibility and provide the needed components and services so the products can operate on top of it. This will be an exciting engineering opportunity as we integrate our respective systems to the next level - it will be engineering at scale, in terms of traffic, data size and growth, revenue impact, visibility, and strategic significance to the entire business’s future.
Senior Software Engineers at Zendesk are expected to be hands-on technologists who could contribute to application development directly, contribute to the design and implementation of projects, and be involved in technical discussions beyond their teams. You should love finding simple solutions to complex problems, and care about not only the technical and algorithmic aspects of large systems, but the way they enable other developers to do their jobs. You should have previous experience with web infrastructure, distributed systems, or component-oriented software engineering.
What You Get To Do Every Day
- Design, code and deliver scalable and reliable backend systems that support our omnichannel integration strategy.
- Lead technical discussion and provide technical guidance to the team.
- Ensure scalability, performance, maintainability and security of the technical platform in collaboration with ops teams.
- Identify, track and monitor key metrics to ensure stability and reliability of our systems.
- Identify areas of our product and infrastructure that need improvement and drive fixes to completion.
- Participate in all phases of the software lifecycle.
- Mentor and guide junior team members by reviewing their code submissions, code pairing, and being a sounding board.
- Become a key contributor to better working practices across Zendesk.
What you bring to the role:
- Previous experience in software engineering role making active technical contribution, preferably in a SAAS environment.
- Advanced level knowledge with a server-side technology, one of Ruby/Rails, Python/Django, J Java, or ES6/NodeJS
- Working knowledge with one or more of the following data stores and systems: MySQL, Kafka, ElasticSearch, Riak, Redis
- Solid understanding of architecture of highly concurrent and low latency systems and common tradeoffs with regard to performance, scalability and reliability
- Passion for understanding complex systems, debugging problems, and pushing solutions to production.
Nice To Have
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent.
- Working knowledge with Kafka Streams is a plus
Culture and Perks
We have 200+ staff in our Singapore office which is home to our highly successful chat product. We approach work with calm, focus, a sense of humour whilst keeping sane working hours. You will work with supportive peers that truly care about our customers and deliver value for them. At Zendesk we also have a culture where ideas come from the bottom up - we have yearly company hackathons!
Perks include stock, flexible working, $1500 training allowance, medical insurance coverage for you and your family, mobile phone allowance, home internet reimbursement, wfh equipment budget, and 4 months parental leave.
About Zendesk - Champions Of Customer Service
Zendesk started the customer experience revolution in 2007 by enabling any business around the world to take their customer service online. Today, Zendesk is the champion of great service everywhere for everyone, and powers billions of conversations, connecting more than 100,000 logos with hundreds of millions of customers over telephony, chat, email, messaging, social channels, communities, review sites and help centers. Zendesk products are built with love to be loved. The company was conceived in Copenhagen, Denmark, built and grown in California, taken public in New York City, and today employs more than 4,000 people across the world. Learn more at www.zendesk.com.
We believe in service. Learn more about how we provide support to our local communities with volunteering, grants and product donations.
Zendesk is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster global diversity, equity, & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment and employees at Zendesk are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer. If you are based in the United States and would like more information about your EEO rights under the law, please click here.
Zendesk endeavors to make reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities and disabled veterans pursuant to applicable federal and state law. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to submit this application, complete any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participate in the employee selection process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your specific accommodation request.
By submitting your application, you agree that Zendesk may collect your personal data for recruiting, global organization planning, and related purposes. Zendesk's Candidate Privacy Notice explains what personal information Zendesk may process, where Zendesk may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over Zendesk’s use of your personal information.