Zendesk is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the Chat Platform team. We focus on delivering the best experience for our largest customers and experimenting with opportunities for accelerated growth. Zendesk’s customer base is growing fast and you will be able to make outstanding contributions to a product that is used by millions of people every day!
We work with a high degree of autonomy and achieves high velocity by combining designers, test engineers, product managers, and software engineers collaborating together.
Senior Software Engineers at Zendesk are encouraged to be hands-on technologists who can contribute to application development directly, play a part in the design and implementation of projects, and be involved in technical discussions beyond their teams. You should love finding elegant solutions to complex problems, and care about not only the technical and algorithmic aspects of large systems but the way they enable other developers to do their jobs. Previous experience with web infrastructure, distributed systems, or component-centric software engineering is a strong plus.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Work on a Chat platform backend serving millions of users daily.
- Guide the team on technical design discussions and propose innovative solutions on backend components.
- Ensure scalability, performance, maintainability, and security of the technical platform in collaboration with SRE teams.
- Build POCs to test candidate technologies and make informed decisions.
- Collaborate with the Product Manager, the Team Lead, and the Tech Lead to provide technical insights and early estimates on upcoming projects.
- Educate other developers through pairing sessions, and code reviews.
- Become a key contributor to better working practices across Zendesk!
What you bring to the role
- You have delivered enterprise-grade software as part of a cloud-based company or business unit.
- You are independent, self-motivated, and a good team member at the same time.
- You have reasonable communication skills: able to explain a technical concept in an accurate and understandable way.
- You put the customer first and respect your dedication to deliver.
- You have hands-on experience with developing event driven microservices using technologies similar to Apache Kafka.
- You have knowledge of AWS distributed services.
- You have personal projects, collaboration with open-source communities, or active learning initiatives to showcase your passion for technology.
- Redis, Mysql, AWS Aurora
- Apache Kafka
- Docker, Kubernetes
Culture and Perks
We approach work with calm, focus, a sense of humour whilst keeping sane working hours. We respect individuals for who they are at work and outside of it too, and the culture and people are a huge reason why Zendesk is a great place to work.
Perks include stocks, flexible working hours, professional development allowance, medical cover, mobile phone allowance and 4 months maternity/paternity leave.
At Zendesk, we believe that every great customer relationship stems from a conversation. So we built a customer service software company that designs solutions to foster better customer relationships. From large enterprises to startups, powerful, innovative customer experiences should be within reach for every company, no matter the size, industry or ambition. Zendesk serves more than 160,000 customers across a multitude of industries in over 30 languages. Zendesk is headquartered in San Francisco, and operates offices worldwide. Learn more at www.zendesk.com.
We believe in service. Learn more about how we provide support to our local communities with volunteering, grants and product donations.
Zendesk is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster global diversity, equity, & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment and employees at Zendesk are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer. If you are based in the United States and would like more information about your EEO rights under the law, please click here.
Zendesk endeavors to make reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities and disabled veterans pursuant to applicable federal and state law. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to submit this application, complete any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participate in the employee selection process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com with your specific accommodation request.